Wednesday, September 9, 2009

HOMEWORK

As soon as school was out today, I headed toward Waco so I could take Hillary birthday shopping. I like to take my girls out to shop, so I can get them something they really like. I had just pulled into the gas station in McGregor ($2.35 a gallon...woohoo!), when Dillan called to ask me what I was doing. Now, I always know what this means....he has HOMEWORK. And this call was no different. He had English homework that he wanted my assistance(synonym for help) with. Naturally, I called Hillary and postponed our shopping date and headed back towards H-town to help my youngest with his HOMEWORK. He arrived about 7:00, hungry as a horse, so I hopped into the car to buy one of his favorite meals...chicken from Chicken Express. 7 piece meal, fries, roll and a large Dr. Pepper. (I suggested Crossfire and a chicken fried steak, but he said he had too much HOMEWORK....eeeewwww). He inhaled his greasy food and we got started on his paper. Now, my new computer does not have Word (yet), so he didn't have the help of the computer's thesaurus. I didn't realize how convenient that silly Thesaurus was! He spent the next hour and a half looking up words in an old Thesaurus I have....thank goodness I could find it! He quickly discovered he used try or tried way too many times! So he substituted attempt, strive, execute, undertake, struggle, endeavor, sampled for all twelve times he attempted to not use the words try/tried. He struggled with that! Other words incorporated into his paper were labor, reimburse, bestow, impart, obtain, seize, sacrifice, forfeit, execute, affixed, allot, acquire, approaches, poses, fetch, oblige, craves....wow, I'm exhausted after all that! After reading it over, it certainly did not sound like words he usually uses, but it was more interesting after all those substitutions! Hopefully, he acquired some knowledge by using interesting vocabulary as he composed his composition! Ha ha! We had a great time...his right shoulder started hurting after he had written for such a lengthy time (in the same place mine hurts after I write or sew or paint), so I gave him a good ole neck rub...he has knots in his shoulder just like I do...stress knots! He still had Spanish HOMEWORK, so he went to his dad's to finish that and go to bed. I'm so glad he came over!

No comments:

Post a Comment