Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Dressing Up

Personally, I hate to dress up. Today I wore a navy pencil skirt, starched white blouse topped off with a red jacket. That's right....I looked just like a flag. All I needed was a star on my chest and I could have been hung on a flagpole! I opted not to wear heels...however I did wear navy flats. I've tried wearing heels, but OMG, they hurt my feet. I was uncomfortable all day long in my skirt and blouse. It felt like my shirt was coming untucked and I hate that. Pencil skirts are hard to sit in and I had a hard time sitting! Donald told me that I looked really pretty and professional this morning. I tried to tell him that I don't enjoy dressing this way and I compared it to him wearing a suit and tie every day. He got it! That was the only comparison I could think of to let him know how I hate to dress up. I don't think I'm a better teacher if I dress up at all. I can do a great job teaching when I wear jeans. Now, I don't mind wearing dress jeans, and I can even "dress" up my jeans, but we can only wear jeans on Fridays unless we have the much coveted "jean coupon". I love to get "jean coupons" and I tuck them away in a safe spot so I can use them later. Then at the end of my teaching year, I find all these unused coupons and I don't even need them for my summer vacation because I can wear jeans anytime I want during the summer! So, my goal this year is to use my "jean coupons" and not hide them away like an old miser hides her $100 bills under a mattress! I will of course continue to dress up, because so many of my clothes that I've bought are "dressy". I will put on my "big girl panties" on my "dress up" days and endure the pencil skirts and blouses. I will plaster a smile on my face and graciously thank those who comment on how "nice" I look. I will, however, secretly wish I was wearing my jeans. I do own some skirts and dresses that aren't so dressy. And when the weather is warm, I don't mind wearing a more casual skirt or dress. They are cooler than a pair of pants or jeans. But the past few days, my room has been freezing and I've had recess duty. I've had to wear my jacket in the room and even take a blanket out to the playground to cover my exposed legs (covered in goose bumps!). I'm looking forward to Friday...jean day! I plan to wear my new black jeans and my new t-shirt (it has 3/4 length sleeves and it looks like a snake skin) that I bought last night at Express. So on Friday, instead of looking like a starless flag, I'll look just like a boa constrictor slithering down the hall and I'll be a happy teacher! Hissssssssssssss!

4 comments:

  1. Love it!!! I hate to dress up, too... Jeans and sweats all the way!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad I found your blog and I love the name. I love blogging but I want a new name for mine.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i totally feel ya on this one, cheri! i HATE being stuffy... i was comfort and cuteness at the same time, and that's hard to do! hope the school year is going great. can't wait to meet tristan!!!

    ReplyDelete