Friday, September 18, 2009

Nesting

I remember when I got ready to have my babies, I would nest. I spent my time cleaning the bathrooms and kitchen.....that included mopping floors and cleaning out the refrigerator...and organizing the pantry(canned goods in alphabetical order). I would clean every drawer in the house and cringe when anyone went near a drawer to even consider taking something out of it. My silverware (well, it wasn't really silver...stainless) was neatly placed in their little cubicles. Pots and pans were arranged in the cabinets and all my bowls were stacked like the stacking cups my children loved to play with. I scrubbed with Ajax and Spic and Span...used gallons of Pine Sol....scrubbed toilets as if I planned to drink from them! Windows were shining and the smell of Windex filled the house. I would make sure all the clothes were clean and ironed (yikes...) and folded and neatly stacked away in their specific spot. I made sure the garage was clean (heaven forbid someone seeing a messy garage) and the yard was perfectly groomed. This huge task would surely get me ready for labor and the precious arrival I was expecting from the stork. Well, today, I suppose I was nesting for Cari. She is due any day now and I want to be ready. Instead of getting my house ready for the big day, I tried to get my classroom ready. I've written lesson plans for the next three weeks! I have all my papers run off...hot off the press! They are hidden away in folders that I've labeled for that specific day. I have lesson plans for the day on top, followed by an attendance page, class lists for each class, and a daily schedule. Under these I've placed my daily papers. I've informed my teaching buddies where my teacher manuals are. The science experiment for Wednesday is ready and waiting! Salt, food coloring, cups, paintbrushes and paper...are all there. We'll be studying "solutions" and the class will mix the salt with water and food color and then they'll paint a picture with the solution of salt, water, and food color. Hopefully, when their masterpieces dry, the salt will be left on their paper! I'll have the sub (or me if I'm still there) to hang them like an art museum full of Van Gogh's work. All is ready and waiting! Now, if my nesting was in vain, I'll be extra ready for myself and I'll do the entire "nesting" activity all over again for the next week!

1 comment:

  1. Way to go... can I come to your class??? That sounds like lots of fun!!!

    ReplyDelete