Saturday, September 19, 2009

Garage Sales

I love garage sales! There's nothing better than to dig around in someone else's rubbish and find the perfect item to add to your own collection of future rubbish. I set my alarm for 7:00 this morning intending to hop up, make a pot of coffee, grab a cup and set out on an exciting venture. My allotted garage sale money was waiting to be spent! Unfortunately, I dozed off and didn't get out until about 9:00. I threw on my jeans and my favorite "Life is Good" t-shirt, tied my tennis shoes into double knots and dashed out the door, with a full coffee cup and money in hand. I just knew that all the "good stuff" had already been purchased and hauled off to another person's home. It was a perfect morning for our search of treasures! The clouds and the breeze kept the temperature just right for a fall morning. We took the pick up truck, just in case we found something we couldn't live without. Our first stop was a little disappointing, but we had high hopes as we climbed back into the truck and set off on our adventure. House Two was better. We found riding toys for the grand kids! Now, mind you, we already have two big wheels, a tricycle, a pink bike, two Little Tyke trucks and a John Deere tractor! But the big wheels are Denver and Averi's. Maddie really needed the little pink big wheel that we found at House Two so we bought it for $5.00. Sitting next to it was the cutest little car for a toddler....now I know that Tristin hasn't even been born yet, but I knew that by next spring/summer, that precious little boy would be needing his own little vehicle to scoot around on at Nana's house, so we plopped down another $3.00 for it! (What a steal!) The morning was already a success! We traveled out of town to House Three and found a table with two benches that, sadly to say, had just been purchased. Oh well, we decided we didn't even have a place for it! I did find a really cute crock with blue hearts on it and an adorable old creamer decorated with a bluebird ( I love bluebirds) so I snatched those two items like they were sale items from a Neiman Marcus! My morning was good. I knew my "Life is Good" t-shirt would bring me good luck! We were running out of coffee, but we decided to try House Four. Now House Four was not pleasant. The odor was rank to say the least. An old couple had lived there for years and I honestly believe they had every crystal ash tray known to man. Boxes of greasy kitchen utensils sat on the floor...stacks of old record albums cried, "Play me, please, just play me one more time!" as I sifted through them hoping to find an old Beatles album! However, as much as I searched for treasures, I realized it was mainly just trash. We left with nothing but a faint odor that lingered on our clothes. House Five was near Aleman. We drove and drove for miles only to find we had passed it! As we crept up the lane toward it, we decided they had already closed for the day. I checked the paper to confirm the address and realized that House Five would not have it's garage sale until next week! We laughed and agreed we both needed another fresh cup of coffee, so we headed back to the house. We placed the riding toys next to the other 7 that we own and I sprinted into the house to find the perfect spot for my crock and creamer. Hmmmmmmm! A sense of accomplishment fell upon me. I did find some goodies on my treasure hunt! All is well! We're planning on visiting House Five first next week on our Garage Sale trip! I just know they have some "good stuff"!

1 comment:

  1. Nice! I saw you two driving and thought to myself "It looks like they are having a good morning." Little did I know that life was so good! I may go garage sale shopping next week too. Sounds very entertaining!

    ReplyDelete