Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Reflections

I rushed home from school today to see what all I had missed on Facebook. Well, I had a major shock when I looked at my computer and I saw the reflection of a face....at first I didn't recognize it as mine, because it looked just like my mom was looking back at me! I began to laugh out loud and I realized it was ME! This is not the first time I've seen my mom when I should have seen myself. Now, my mom died about seven years ago, so I would really love to see her, but not when I should see ME!

I've been shopping before when I've seen her. The first time that happened I was in the middle of Dillard's (one of Mother's favorite stores as I recall). I was shocked to see "her" standing across from me, so I quickly glanced at her face again, only to realize I was looking at my own relection in a mirror!

I've also seen her when I've brushed my teeth and I see my reflection in the bathroom mirror. I tend to stand like she did as she brushed her teeth. I've noticed that I clench my left fist as I brush my teeth with my right hand.....just like dear old Mom!

Mother always stood with her hands on her hips (that's called "akimbo"...standing with hands on your hips....I learned that when I read "Strawberry Girl" by Lois Lenski....I had to look that word up in the dictionary!) I also stand "akimbo" quite often. I've seen her standing akimbo when I've seen my reflection in mirrors more times than I can even count!

This summer my family had a family reunion.....Mother would have loved it! As I looked at the pictures we took, I saw Mother along with us! She was there in my sisters' faces..... Barbara and Lisa...... and me! I miss my mom and it was really good to see her....even though it was just a reflection!

3 comments:

  1. I catch myself doing thing just like my Mom all the time. I look at pictures of younger days and some of them are quite similar. My dad always says, "Alex, if you want to see what a girl is going to look like when she gets older all you have to do is look at her mom." I guess it has a lot of truth to it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. At least you don't look down at your hands and see your dad's!!!!! I have daddy's hands. Man hands!!!!
    I have seen Mother in you several times......especially when you take a nap:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my gosh! I forgot when I had surgery and Donald took a picture of me after I had been knocked out! I looked just like mother!!!!!

    ReplyDelete