Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Grandchildren

As of today...I still only have 3 grandchildren (Cari hasn't had Tristin yet!). And let me just say....when I say grandchildren...I mean GRANDchildren. They are all just grand..wonderful...fabulous...sensational...glorious...splendid...magnificent...I could go on and on! All three are completely different! I guess that's what makes them so special and makes me love them in a special way.

Denver Dwain Poe....what a wonderful kid! He's my first grandson. I remember the day he was born. We (about 20 of us!) gathered in the waiting room for the grand arrival. We thought HE was going to be a SHE until just a few days before he was born. (I had purchased hundreds of dollars of little pink outfits for who we thought was going to be Averi Grace.) We couldn't wait to see this precious little boy. Oh...he was certainly worth the wait! When I saw him all I could see was a miniature Gina! I thought he looked just like his momma! I expected him to look like Derek, but I could not see an ounce of Derek in that adorable baby boy! Needless to say, I fell in love! Denver has been a treasure to our family. When Denver comes over he keeps me busy...usually playing a game of baseball or basketball. Honestly, there is nothing he can't do! I love to watch him play sports already! My favorite sport to watch him play is soccer! He is awesome! He plays with the intensity of a pro! I get to see Denver every day now because he is in first grade and his classroom is across the hall from me! What a joy to hear, "Nana!" as I'm at school and to top it off with a hug and a kiss!

Next we were blessed with my first granddaughter....Averi Grace! This time I got to keep all the little pink outfits (I had returned the others and exchanged them for blue!) that I had purchased and Gina got to use the name she planned to use with Denver. Derek and Gina once more had a beautiful baby and once again, I fell in love! She was(and is) everything you could order in a little girl. I didn't get to the hospital in time for the actual birth....however, we did make a practice run to the hospital the week before she was born. Derek had gone hunting and Gina thought she was in labor, so I got to drive the "getaway car" to Waco...only to be told she wasn't ready to come. She was also, certainly worth the wait. We were a little worried how Denver would react, but he fell right in to the role of a big brother! Averi has a beautiful smile and she is already a "little mother". She is such a nurturer and she loves to take care of her brother! She loves to come to Nana's and play. She tends to be a bit shy but as soon as she gets on her tricycle...you'd better get out of the way. She's not at all shy once she gets behind the "wheel"! One of her favorite things to do is to help me sweep when she comes over....so I always get to do a little tidying up when she visits. She'll be in kindergarten next year...so I'll be blessed with two of my little sweetie peetie, tootie pootie, honey bunny, sugar bugars at school!!!

Madilyn Bryce is my third grandchild! She is just a joy! Hillary and Dennis certainly combined their genes when they created this little creature! The day she was born there was a gigantic halo around the sun! I think it was a sign telling us that she was going to be a special little girl. I made it to the hospital before she was born and was waiting in the waiting room when she arrived. I fell in love once again! The family gathered once more and we all agreed that she was a "keeper". Maddie is a bundle of energy and love. Some days she looks like her mother, and then a second later she's the image of her daddy! She has a beatiful head of auburn curls! Her personality is just like Hillary's....she's strong willed and full of energy. There's never a dull moment when Maddie is around! She is usually going 100 m.p.h.! She received a bicycle on her 2nd birthday and she began riding it immediately! She loves to play with her "Denber" and "Avewi" and they love to play with her. It's so much fun to see the three of them together...and Madilyn usually keeps them in line! She spent the week with us this past summer after she had surgery on her thumbs for "trigger thumb". I walked in one day to find her trying to cut her cast off with a pair of scissors! That's our Maddie!

Now, I'm waiting on grandchild number 4....Tristin Hunter Ulrich. He will also certainly be "worth the wait" and I am positive that once again....I will fall in love...and I can't wait!

5 comments:

  1. You are blessed with 3 beautiful grandchildren! We are all awaiting for the next arrival......Tristan. I wish that I could spend more time with them, but the time I do get I treasure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad you love my grandbabies! You just won't believe how much you'll love your own!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You can be a grammy or nannie or nonnie to Tristin, and come and visit him whenever you'd like!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cheri, your post made me tear up. How special to have such wonderful grandbabies :) Tristan will be here soon!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am just finding your blog and this is the sweetest thing I have ever read. Now we have that 4th baby and you're right we are in love all over again. It's amazing the power a baby has over you, isn't it? Thanks for loving my babies so much!!!!

    ReplyDelete