Monday, March 1, 2010

Signs of Aging 9/Falling

This morning was a bit dreary....it was cold and damp. When I first looked out my window this morning, it was so foggy it caught my breath....I have a problem with fog. I can't breath in it! Honestly, I can't drive in fog...when I see fog, I can't breath. So if I'm driving I have to shut my eyes to breath...so I figure that is really not too safe, so I just refuse to drive in fog! Anyway...I was so disappointed to see such a gloomy morning! However, I knew I had to get through the day. I had school to teach and another performance of "Dearly Beloved". After my English muffin and cup of coffee, Donald suggested I take his pick-up to school and he would take my Honda to J&J's for an oil change. Didn't really want to drive the pick-up to school...it's so high! I have to hike my leg up really high...it's so unflattering...and then hop up into the pick-up. I feel like I'm trying to get into a saddle on a horse! I suggested that I take my car to J&J's and he pick me up and take me to school...then he could pick me up at lunch and take me to pick up my car. So.....that was the plan....I taught math ( geometry...plane figures) and some science (solar system....Mercury and Venus)...had TAKS intervention and then took the kiddos to lunch. Afterwards, Donald picked me up for a trip to J&J's....in the rain....yes...it was still raining! I leaped into his pick-up....I felt like a high jumper trying to get up into that truck. We pulled in to J&J's and I got ready to dash to my car. There was a red pick-up parked next to Donald's....and like a gentleman, Donald hopped out of his pick-up to open the door to my car for me. I threw the door open and got ready to make a dash in the rain to my car....and wouldn't you know...as I put my right foot on the running board, I began to fall. My boot slipped right off that wet, muddy running board...only my mind and the rest of my body didn't realize my foot was slipping. It just kept going....I realized I was falling. I didn't think I would ever stop and the bad thing was, I couldn't stop myself. I had an umbrella in one hand and a Sonic cup full of Dr. Pepper in the other. I finally landed....flat on my rear....on the wet muddy ground. I looked to see if there was anyone in the red pick-up next to me and thank the Lord...it was vacant. However, that red truck did block anyone who was driving down the highway from seeing my "graceful" fall! In fact, Donald couldn't even see me! All at once I heard him shout, "Where are you?" He ran back to the pick-up...I guess he saw the umbrella bobbing up and down. He helped me up....I was laughing so hard, I could hardly get up! Luckily I wasn't hurt...just a little wet! Falling is not fun...especially when you are getting old like me! I made it to my car without any more falls! He wanted to know how I felt tonight...and I insisted I was fine....but I believe I'm beginning to feel a bit sore! I think that fall may have jostled this old lady more than I thought! So if you were driving down Hwy. 36 today about 12:20 and happened to see my grand performance (not the one in the play!) I hope you got a good laugh! I would hate to go to all that trouble and then not have anyone enjoy it!

3 comments:

  1. Thank you sooo much for the giggle! Last year at the district UIL meet I feel, slid down the stairs, and managed to scrap the fronts of my legs. try to reenact this, it takes a good bit of talent. I cursed and yelled quite loudly. Thank goodness nobody saw/heard. I told my husband. I was wearing a dress at the time. His only concern was that someone may have seen my panties. Thanks dear for that one...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Carrie...you returned the deed! I giggled at your fall! I hate to admit this but I'm horrible about laughing when people fall! I guess that's why I thought my fall was so funny! I'm still laughing at you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like that. I'm laughing at me still too...

    ReplyDelete