Saturday, March 27, 2010

My friend, Gladys


When I moved to this house 3 years ago, one of the first things I remember was being startled by a noise at my living room window. There, pecking away was a female cardinal. She wasn't too pretty compared to her male counterpart who was a beautiful bright deep red...She was brown with just a bit of red on her wings and a beautiful red beak. That first morning I assumed that she hit my front living room window by accident. After about 5 minutes of ceaseless hits, she stopped only to move to my side living room window. That first summer she tried to visit each morning. She has continued to return. She usually comes around 9:00 a.m.....so on school mornings I don't hear her. But weekends, holidays and summers she's there....perpetual....round-the-clock she is! Even visitors comment, "Did you know you have a bird trying to get in?" I've grown quite fond of her. I've named her "Gladys". She has lots of desirable qualities....and a few that some may think unfavorable.


  1. She is sort of a "plain Jane" but so am I....

  2. She is quite stubborn.

  3. She is persistent.

  4. She knows what she wants (that's in here).

  5. She doesn't give up on getting in (I think she likes me!).

  6. She must have a good sense of humor because she keeps running into that window!

  7. She's happy.

If I could, I would ask her in....offer her a cup of tea and maybe an English muffin. I like her!

2 comments: