Monday, January 4, 2010

Monday's Signs of Aging

Today I've decided to try and write something each Monday about aging and all the benefits that come with it as well as all the embarrassing aspects of the ugly word!

  1. With aging comes drooling....and that does not necessarily mean drooling over a handsome man! I mean the type of drool that uncontrollably drips down the left side of my mouth heading straight for my chin and southerly to the lap. Does this require me to carry an embroidered hankie with me or to keep a Kleenex in my coat pocket at all times? My mother used to drool...not badly...I don't want you to think of her as an old woman in a rest home drooling away. It was just a subtle little dribble that slipped out. She always caught it before it rolled off her chin. I guess that is why we found wadded balls of Kleenex in each of her coat pockets that we went through after she passed away. (We looked for money, but found old Kleenex!) Now it seems I'm carrying on this trait. I can be sitting watching t.v. and I'll feel a wetness creeping down the side of my face...it's so embarrassing! Please, if you see me drool, don't tell me.
  2. Strange bodily noises have also begun to escape. It's quite humiliating. My children (my own flesh and blood) used to come home telling me that their teacher had gas and would blame it on them. I couldn't imagine any self-respecting teacher blaming a student on gas, but I'm getting ready to start blaming! Now back to mom...she never had gas that I know of. And you certainly didn't talk about it or heaven forbid actually "do it" around her. She called it "breaking wind" and I'm sure she never admitted to it. But as I age, I think she may have silently done so....I don't think its possible not to! I do solemnly promise not to blame this on any of my students this year...now I can't promise for next year, but for those of you who have students in my class this year, I can assure I won't blame them for any uncontrollable bodily noises.
  3. Now a plus to aging is that you have grandchildren. That is worth all the drools and noises that come with age! I love them all so much. I can't even remember what life was like without them. I really enjoyed Christmas with them and they gave me wonderful pictures to enjoy. They put the pictures in a book...when I started looking at it, I began to cry! It is a treasure to always keep! They also gave me a calendar with their pictures decorating each month's page. The kids also talked Dillan into getting his picture made with them. I just loved it all!

Those are the three signs of aging that have been bothering me lately. Hopefully my memory won't fail me too much until my next Monday's post on the dreaded signs of aging!

1 comment: