Monday, January 25, 2010

Monday's Signs of Aging 4

Tonight I feel the need to discuss hair color. I know this may come as a shock to you all, but my hair is no longer a true "warm medium brown." Once upon a time it was....or maybe more of a "warm honey brown." I have been coloring my hair for more years than I care to disclose. The first time I noticed my gray hair was the second year I taught and that was about 20 years ago. One day at lunch, one of my students looked at me and quite seriously said, "You have some gray hairs." I looked right back at him and glaringly said, "Yes, and you gave me every one of these gray hairs." After that I began to occasionally color. I was too young for gray hair. Now I'm not.

I'll never forget the day I waltzed into the room with a fresh color on my hair, and all the kids said, "Your hair is orange!" I was horrified and quickly told them, "It is NOT orange. It is ash honey brown." After examining it in the mirror during my break, I had to agree...it was orange. I called a hairdresser and had professional redo my color. Lesson learned...never use any color with ash in the description.

My sister is always quick to let me know I need to color my hair. I'm careful to always buy the magic box and color it before I see her. I knew if she could see me yesterday, she would quickly without any hesitation at all tell me..."You need to color your hair." I was beginning to look like a skunk, so yesterday I went to Target and started looking for the right color. I never can remember which brand or the exact color I used the last time. (I've already discussed losing my memory on Signs of Aging) I wasn't surprised that my memory failed me again. I grabbed a box of, oh darn, I've already forgotten....the magic color. After a dinner with Hillary, Dennis and Maddie, we drove home and at 9:00 p.m. I began to paint my hair. I use an old paint brush to color my hair...I'm sure the professionals would die if they could see the procedure, but it works for me. I can do the front and sides, but Donald has to come in for the beautification process and color the back. He forgot to put the gloves on last night, and he ended up with dark stains all over his hands! But we got it done and today I went to school with warm medium brown minus the gray streak that I had previously.

I'm just not ready for a complete head of gray hair. I'll continue to hide this particular sign of aging until I feel old enough to have gray hair. Not sure when that's gonna be. I'm sure I'll be buying the magic box for several more years!

5 comments:

  1. don't feel bad, your neighbor @ 509 s williams doesn't even know her true hair color .... haha.

    and come to think of it, neither do i!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I will tell you if you need your hair colored and I will also tell you if you have something between your teeth! You have been orange and I have been green, so we need to work really hard that we don't become one of the little old ladies in church with purple hair. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I found a few more grey strays if that makes you feel any better... I applaud you, and everyone else that colors their hair on a regular basis. I'd never get it done and people would always call me skunk lady. I can't even get my hair blow dried everyday, let alone remember to color it.

    You crack me up!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lisa...and I'm looking forward to using that grape kool-aid for a "Traaaacy" look! What do ya think?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I use a "magic box" too and I am very proud of it! And I am not too proud to admit it!

    ReplyDelete