Monday, February 22, 2010

Signs of Aging 8/ Snow

As old as I am, I never grow tired of snow! I love it! In my opinion there is nothing more beautiful than snow falling and resting on tree branches and then making a blanket on the ground! I know it can be a real head-ache....but technically, it is still winter! I grew up further west in Anson, Texas...a small town about 20 miles north of Abilene. Behind our backyard was a cotton field and you could see the horizon for miles and miles, so when it snowed the white just went on and on. If it snowed during the night, my momma would always come in to my cold bedroom the next morning and bend over my bed and recite this poem:

Good morning, Mr. Rabbit!
Your tail is mighty white.

Of course Mr. Farmer,
It snowed last night!

After that, Lisa and I would jump out of bed and immediately begin to beg to go outside and play in the snow! We were never really prepared for snow! We didn't own snow boots or toboggans or even mittens! So we pulled on a pair of socks and our tennis shoes covered with a plastic bread bag! Luckily we owned a coat, but we had to use socks for our mittens! That didn't deter our trip outside! We loved it...not as much as Mother...she liked to keep a tidy house and she didn't appreciate Lisa and I running in and out of the house to warm up! But we would....we never grew tired of the snow and would play for hours! We made snowmen and had to beg for scarves and hats! We were never allowed to use a carrot for a nose, but that didn't stop us from begging for one! I guess our snowmen were pretty pitiful!

Our fingers and toes would become numb. It's a wonder we didn't get frostbite! Our noses would turn red and begin to drip and the tops of our ears would turn beet red from the freezing temperatures!

If we were lucky and had all the ingredients, we would make snow ice cream! It was the best winter time treat ever! Now, Mother didn't believe in letting us eat the first snow of the season...there was some rumor about the first snow being filled with some type of pollutants! We could usually beg her until she gave in. It was delish!

Tomorrow morning if I awake to snow and we don't have school, I have big plans. I'm gonna make a snowman and make snow ice cream....that is...if I have the right ingredients! I think I'll lay out my "snow clothes" just in case! I hope I can find my mittens!

No comments:

Post a Comment