Friday, May 21, 2010

Words with Friends

Lately I've become addicted to WORDS WITH FRIENDS. It's not the type of addiction that calls for rehab or at least not yet. Hi. My name is Cheri. I am a wordaholic. I know it can be quite irritating to those around me. I sometimes take my iPhone to the lunchroom with me (the office might call) and I try to sneak in a few words while munching on a bowl of Honey Nut Cheerios. I took it to the library the other day while Kayla and I listened to 33 third graders read the bibliographies they had written and show the creature in camouflage they had created in science. The temptation overtook me after the 7th child tried to read their own handwriting and I let my addiction take over. After about three plays and a dirty look from Kayla, I took my phone back to the room and left it there. I had a major anxiety/separation attack, but Kayla assured me it would be okay. My addiction is also very irritating to Donald. I think the fact that my phone dings at odd hours of the night with the night owls I play against is about to get the best of him. Regardless...I love the game! I've actually expanded my vocabulary. I'm sharing some of my favorite WORDS and their definitions! I'll begin with my favorite new word.......fard.
  • FARD - to paint the face with cosmetics
  • DIPT - transitive verb or intransitive verb of dip....(that's right...dipped or dipt..who'd of thunk????)
  • AHI - there, near the listener
  • QI - pronounced chi. Chinese word for natural energy of the universe ( the Q is worth 10 points. And if you're lucky...you can place it on a DW (double word) or TW (triple word)
  • RETE - network of blood vessels
  • LWEI - name of a network of rivers in Angola
  • FER - another word/dialect for FOR! (I'm thinking maybe Texan dialect...Whatcha wanna do that fer?)

I'm hoping my sister gets an iPhone for her birthday...she is a mean scrabble player and I'm thinking we could really get into some games during the summer! Well...I'm off....I think I need to fard.

1 comment:

  1. I just downloaded Words with Friends and havent even set up a username. I play Scrabble on my iphone against the computer all the time and I play Lexulous, which is one of the first scrabble type games on Facebook. I play Lex with my cousin April who is a freaking genius. I've been screwing with her since last summer using scrabblecheat.com. She is so mad and can NOT figure out how I am beating her since she is so smart. I've been just laughing my ass off over it. In my defense, she does use the Merrian Webster dictionary online which will give word suggestions. I only cheat with April though. Ok, i just set up a username allcarriedaway, so play with me sometime!

    And I would be most pleased to carry a spare debit card in Europe. My students refer to my purse as my Mary Poppins bag because I always have anything that they could possibly need in it. "look at her, she just keeps pulling stuff out!"

    ReplyDelete