Monday, April 5, 2010

Mama Cox's Buttermilk Pie

Over the Easter weekend I pulled out a frozen buttermilk pie that I had baked at Christmas and then frozen "for later". Well...noone touched it! So I kept two pieces and gave the rest to Cari and Kevin....telling them to take a piece to Dillan. Our two pieces were eaten last night. Dillan came by this morning on his way to school and wanted pie for breakfast...for some reason he hadn't gotten his pie from Cari (????). So I promised him a pie for dessert tonight. This is my grandmother's recipe and it is delicious and super easy. I doubled the recipe and it gave me 3 pies. I usually make my own crust, but because of time and convenience I used a Marie Callender's frozen crust today! I'll give the recipe for a single pie. Like I said, I doubled the recipe and made three pies. They freeze well. Just let them cool and wrap them in foil. Stick them in your freezer and enjoy later. I always think, "If you're gonna make one, you might as well make 2 or 3!"

Cream 1 stick of (real) softened butter with 2 cups of sugar.
Add 3 heaping tablespoons of flour and continue to mix.


Beat in 3 eggs (mine came from the Evanson's. Aren't they beautiful?).

Add two teaspoons of vanilla. I've used all my Mexican vanilla, which I love!



Add 1 cup of buttermilk and mix well.



Pour into an unbaked 9 inch pie shell and bake at 350 degrees for 50 - 60 minutes.



Enjoy your pie..........It is a real treat!

Mama Cox's Buttermilk Pie Recipe
1 stick butter
2 cups sugar
3 heaping Tbl. flour
3 eggs
1 cup buttermilk
2 tsp. vanilla
Cream butter, sugar, and flour. Add other ingredients. Mix well. Pour in an unbaked 9 inch crust. Bake at 350 degrees for 50-60 minutes.

5 comments:

  1. I'm so impressed... this looks just like something the Pioneer Woman would post!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I put his pie in the KITCHEN!! Right next to his shirt!! Hey...I need to talk to you about ACT/SAT for Dillan...they can take a free one this summer!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Betsy! Not quite up there with Pioneer Woman yet but it was fun to cook and shoot pictures! Cari...I figured the pie was somewhere over there! Dillan doesn't always look really hard! haha! It's the "man thing" in him! I have three more pies now! They are going in the freezer for the next bit of company!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm VERY impressed with this blog... so professional. Not to mention that now my mouth is watering!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. YUMM-O! Any extra buttermilk!?! I love the stuff... Use to drink with my Pi-Pa! You could share a pie with your first grade teacher friends!

    ReplyDelete