Monday, November 16, 2009

Calf Fries...hmmmmm

I was reading Kaley's blog and she mentioned....bull nuts...what I refer to as calf fries/mountain oysters or my favorite...as Kaley put it "fried nastiness"! It reminded me of a story....a true story (honest to goodness) that happened at Crossfire Cafe last year. Once I started working at Crossfire, I began to notice our "regular customers" and I began to look forward to seeing them. Some of my favorite customers are these "regulars"! One family comes in from the Dallas area, so they are what I call "city folk". They have land near Cranfills Gap, but they always come to eat with us when they come to the "country". I've come to love this family.... The first time they came in, I noticed that their daughters (about 9 and 12) must go to private schools....they came in eager eyed, dressed in their navy/khaki skirts topped by white polo tops....so cute! I was lucky enough to get to wait on them and each time they came afterwards, I would get their table. I quickly learned what they wanted to order on each visit! He would always drink tea...she drank white zinfandel...the girls got water....but they always ordered appetizers....Shooters (jalapeno peppers stuffed with cream cheese and grilled over the fire) and Calf Fries (fried nastiness). Then they would order steaks for supper, and top it off with dessert...peach cobbler with ice cream on the side and chocolate cake. We would always visit about their plans for the weekend and I would talk to the girls about school. After about six visits, this adorable family came back once again and once again I got to wait on them. I was always happy to do this...they began to order the usual...tea, wine, 2 waters, shooters and calf fries. But this particular night, he quite innocently asked me, "Cheri, just what part of the calf do the calf fries come from?" Now, I know the color from my face must have disappeared. I replied, "You really don't know?" (I knew they were from the city, but they had been eating the "fried nastiness" for months!) The sweet wife was sipping her wine and she quickly looked at me and said,"OH, NO! Is it bad?" I tried to explain without letting those precious girls not really realize what they were munching away on....He just looked at me and shook his head....she nearly slid under the table (with wine in hand) and I was waiting for her to throw up....the girls kept munching....oblivious to it all! I think she ordered another glass of wine after that...I noticed she didn't eat much of her steak....
I haven't seen them in a while...and I've missed seeing them....I do know that when they come back to see us, calf fries won't be ordered!

No comments:

Post a Comment