Sunday, February 6, 2011

The Last Ft. Worth Stock Show




We braved the icy conditions of the roads Friday morning to venture out to the Ft. Worth Stock Show. I worried that we wouldn't make it. It began snowing about 8:30 on Thursday night. We had made taco soup and invited Jenifer, Colton and Tracey over for a hot bowl to warm us up and some buttermilk pie to fatten us up. I love my Crossfire buddies....I would have loved for all of them to have come over...we always have such a good time! Anyway, Tracey slipped on my front steps as she left and she ended up getting SIX staples in the back of her head....I felt so bad even though I (I'm ashamed to say....) LMAO when she fell! So...after the fall from the ice and snow, I was worried that we wouldn't make it to the stock show. However, Donald heated up the pick-up at 5:00 a.m. on Friday morning and we began our adventure in the ice and snow. Lauren had even sent me a message on Facebook and gave me a thumbs up on the roads (thanks!). He put it in four wheel drive and we headed up north on the icy roads! Luckily the roads had enough snow on them for some traction. We seemed to be the only ones on the road until we got to Weatherford and just like magic...there were more cars/trucks on the interstate. The snow fell on us all the way to Ft. Worth. We made it and hurried through the mud and slush and ice into the cold, smelly barns to find Dillan. He was just coming into the show ring when we got there....Those judges don't mess around...if they like your steer, they send you to the middle....if not, they send you out the door and unfortunately, Dillan was sent out the door! Donald and I browsed in the exhibit hall where I found a concho belt and some delicious dips. We also chowed down on some stew in a bread bowl, giant baked potato and a delicious, famous Ft. Worth Stock Show cinnamon roll! Kevin, Cari and Tristin had made the trip up, and they bought Tristin a cowboy hat. Dillan did NOT ask for money to buy fake cigarettes or sand art this year!!!! I guess that's one of the good things about being the parent of a senior!!!! It is a little bittersweet.....our last big show at Ft. Worth for Dillan. However...there are the grand kids and Denver will be old enough to show next year. I only thought I was through with the stock shows! I guess there will be more early morning trips....more smelly barns....more muddy boots....more cinnamon rolls....more good time and good memories!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment